Childcare Progress

I like how it went from $5.00 dollars a day childcare to $10.00 discussed a few years ago. Now I personally could see it being $20.00-25.00 a day. With the desperate need for ECE teachers, the massive wait-lists, to finding a location that you could open and expand a center. I do think our wage has gone up to a respectful amount but it also could be better. This is how we lose ECE teachers to the school district to be EA. Better hours, better pay, benefits, summers and holidays off. I am very fortunate to have an amazing boss where I work. She wants to give staff a decent working wage in hopes they will be long term.

2 Responses

• I was struck by a similar thought – because women were never thought of as valuable as men, the jobs that are predominantly filled by women as also valued less.

• I am happy to hear you have an amazing boss who respects you and knows how hard you work to provide quality child care to your children. I too am fortunate to have an amazing boss, we are the lucky ones. Lets hope wages will increase again and improve the interest of new early childhood educators to join our sector of teaching.